Mourning and Law
Here follows an extract from a recent issue of Mourning’s Corpus Juris:
- It shall be illegal within the boundaries previously defined for the city of Mourning to set fire to public or private property without consent of the property owner and a permit to burn. Further, it shall be illegal in that same area to produce a fire in excess of a dozen feet square at its widest point without a the consultation of the city authority on fume ventilation. See the next section.
- The city authority on fume ventilation shall be an appointed position at the discretion of the city secretary, or, in the absence of an individual so appointed, the city secretary may serve in this capacity. If appointed, the city authority on fume ventilation shall be either an elemental user of magic or a gifted non-magic user with strong safety credentials.
- The import of Darkmantles for public sale which was allowed in last year’s corpus is hereby prohibited. Likewise, the import of all dangerous creatures, as well as all dangerous fungi, and all dangerous alchemical bases—including gunpowder—shall be regulated by the office of dangerous imports. See the next section.
- The office of dangerous imports shall be a group of six related government positions which shall serve at the nomination of the city secretary and shall be subject to a referendum by the calicem -eligible public. The term of service for the positions defined in this section shall be three-gross (300 12 ) (432 10 ) solar days. Reappointment shall be permitted. See the next section.
- Among those nominated by the city secretary for positions which constitute the office of dangerous imports, the most senior shall serve as the office head, and shall be most responsible for the conduct of the office. In reference to the senior status, a bonus pay grade is conferred for this office. The city secretary shall specify which of two or more officeholders will serve as head in the event of a tie for greatest seniority. See next section.
- The office of dangerous imports shall be required to inspect at all entry points to the city those who disclose dangerous cargo. They may, as a body agree to allow certain exceptions to corpus laws as necessary to facilitate commerce, but shall be held liable if an exempted article is used to commit a crime (including a negligent crime).
- Entrance to Mourning by individuals utilizing magic to hold a disguise shall be illegal, as shall entry by individuals using any non-magical means which duplicate the effect of any spell to hold a disguise, or any individuals who travel with prosthetic limbs, strange facial attire, or other strange things for a purpose a reasonable individual would determine to be of the same nature as any of the above named and prohibited means.
- Entrance to Mourning by individuals who possess a prehensile tail shall be prohibited except when such individuals declare the offending tail at entry and pay the tail tax.
- Entrance to Mourning by foreign individuals who possess less bonded currency than is needed to secure a room at one of Mourning’s many fine hostels shall be prohibited except when the individual is escorted by individuals or met by individuals who do possess sufficient funds for both individuals. Citizens of Mourning who arrive destitute of means shall be detained for a brief questioning and then admitted to the city with certain additional security measures.
- The salary for militiamen is hereby raised to one dozen gold pieces per three dozen solar days, presented at the conclusion of three dozen days of service. Introductory militiamen are provided free lodging at the quartermaster’s barracks for up to nine dozen solar days.
- The salary for quartermasters is hereby reduced by half to one gold piece per solar day, plus incurred expenses, paid one dozen days in advance.
- The salary for city maintenance workers is hereby raised to one dozen silver pieces per three dozen solar days, plus incurred expenses and uniform allowance, paid one half-dozen days in advance.
- Citizens with surnames beginning with silent letters are hereby ordered to pay a 1 gold piece tax. Additionally, non-citizen residents who worship at Mourning’s public temple are hereby requested to set aside one-tenth of their tithe cost for general upkeep of the facilities.
- Citizens wishing to access the Mourning Public Library are hereby required to state their full name on entry.